Saturday, June 9, 2012

Day 9 - My Favorite Ingredient

Fried rice with egg and roasted vegetables

This month, I'm limited to the variety of ingredients I can use when making up meals.  To keep it interesting, instead of having the same dish day after day, I've been reinventing the way I'm preparing them.  I've completely gotten away from my original meal plan and have been cooking up what I feel like eating limited to what I have on hand.

My most favorite ingredient is the egg.  It can be eaten for breakfast, lunch or dinner.  It cooks fast and has protein and fat to make you feel satisfied.  I can hard boil it and make sandwiches and salads or keep it whole in the refrigerator for a quick protein snack.  I can fry it alone or mix it in with rice or vegetables.

For lunch, I did just that.  I fried up brown rice with egg and leftover roasted vegetables.  It's fast and hot and tasty. 

I've found that it's really important for me to have some things prepared so that I can get a meal ready fast and easy.  This is what helps to keep me on track. 

It's day 9 and finally, I am starting to miss my old haunts.  After working in the garden or coming home from tennis, I usually hit a fast food place and get a burger fix.  The thing that keeps me on track right now is knowing if I get home I can make up lunch in a couple of minutes.  Tomorrow, I'd better have a snack on hand because I'll be out on the road. 

Also this afternoon, I really wanted a salty snack.  I settled for the zucchini chips and they tasted better today than yesterday.

If I'm still feeling hungry, the last resort is to lie down and take a nap.  Many times I'm eating just to feel alert and that's when I crave sugar, snacks and soda.  I've been taking naps and feel better.  Of course, I'm lucky I can do that!

Day 9

Breakfast:
Apple slices with peanut butter

Lunch:
Fried brown rice with egg and roasted vegetables
Avocado slices and red currant tomatoes

Snack:
Dried zucchini chips

Dinner:
Bowl of pinto beans
2 corn tortillas

Dessert:
1/2 roasted banana with 2 small chocolate pnut bars


Calories:  1198
Cost:  77 cents

Weight: XXX - 3 pounds

No comments:

Post a Comment