Friday, June 15, 2012

Day 15 - Sweet Oranges


When I started this challenge I asked my mom for some oranges from her tree.  Last time I saw it, it was covered completely with orange globes so I knew she had plenty. 

We are downright spoiled here in Southern California.  I remember there used to be groves and groves of oranges on the drive over to Disneyland.  They aren't there anymore, but many people have orange and lemon trees with bounty's of fruit that never get picked.

They are taken for granted here. 

Long ago, my husband would come home and find me crying.  Oh, you must be watching "Little House on the Prairie" again.   I loved that show and I bring it up now because I remember for Christmas, Laura and Mary each got an orange and what a precious gift that was.  I remember that show whenever I see an orange.

So today I decided to try making a slaw out of oranges and zucchini.  I really thought of it mainly to use up the zucchini.  So I tossed some together with a little rice vinegar and sugar and it was nicely refreshing with my brown fried rice.

Orange/zucchini slaw with today's fried rice

Next, I wanted to try making some popsicles with the oranges.  I blended them up with a little vanilla soy milk and sugar.  It tastes like an Orange Julius.



A few hours later - Orangesicle


Day 15

Breakfast:
Oatmeal with soy milk and mulberries

Lunch:
Brown Fried Rice with Egg and Zucchini
Orange Zucchini Slaw

Snack:
Roasted oats
Orangesicle

Dinner:
3 oz tofu
takuan  (pickled Japanese radish)

Calories: 1003
Cost: 90 cents

Weight:  XXX - 3.5 pounds

No comments:

Post a Comment