Sunday, June 3, 2012

Day 3 - Flexibility Helps


Although I made a detailed day by day menu plan, I find that I'm starting to make changes due to what I feel like eating and also what needs to be eaten first due to freshness.  If I have something "just harvested"  I want to get it in my system as soon as possible because each day it loses some of it's nutrition.

Today, I noticed the bananas were starting to get brown spots, so I knew they were at their peak sweetness.  So for breakfast, I had 1/2 sliced banana (yes, I shopped for big bananas) with 2 tablespoons peanut butter, and I added a sliced orange and topped it with some mulberries.  It was super delicious and filling.

The mulberries came from my friend Lisa who bravely and unselfishly climbed a tree to pick them.  Then she froze them and brought them to me.   How nice!  They taste like blackberries but are very fragile.  Too fragile for selling commercially, but they are free for the picking if you have a tree. 

I needed to get the chicken soup in the freezer, so I decided to freeze just the base and add fresh vegetables on the day I was going to eat it.  The base is a big pot of simmered chicken carcass (I trimmed off the breast separately and saved them for stir frys), a pot of red beans that I cooked a few days ago, and an onion that I sauteed and carmelized in olive oil.

I froze them in containers, each with 2 meal portions, and kept some in a pot in the fridge that I will eat in the next few days.  Hopefully my tomatoes will be ripe soon so that I can add them when I eat these.


For lunch, I felt like an egg sandwich, so I decided to try mashing a hard boiled egg with some avocado as the binder instead of using mayo.  It was delicious!  I served it open face on some squaw bread and dressed it with raw slices of daikon and zucchini.


By late afternoon I was feeling weak.  Not so much sleepy this time, but physically weak.  My husband and I spent the afternoon cleaning up and rearranging the garage and my feet were dragging.  I know it's because my body is wondering where the chocolate went.

I wasn't feeling hungry really, just weak and I was glad my dinner just needed to be put in the microwave tonight.  It was the chicken stir fry that I made yesterday and it hit the spot.


Day 3, June 3

Breakfast
1/2 Banana
2 T Peanut Btr
Orange
Mulberries

Lunch
Milton's Squaw Bread
Hard boiled egg
Avocado
Daikon
Zuchinni

Snack
Loquats
orange

Dinner
Chicken Pasta Stir Fry
Brown Rice

Calories: 1245
Cost:  90 cents

No comments:

Post a Comment