Friday, June 8, 2012

Day 8 - The Underrated Bean

Who knew?  Who knew I would like eating a plain bowl of pinto beans? 

How did I get to be this old and not know how easy, economical and versatile it is to cook up a pot of dry beans? 

I did the minimum.  I soaked a one pound bag of pinto beans in a bowl of water overnight.  In the morning, the beans had soaked up all the water.  My husband got mad at me because the cat found it and started pulling them out and playing with them. 

I rinsed them out, put them in a big pot and added water 2 inches above the level of the beans.  Then I let them boil for about 1 1/2 to 2 hours or just about when I could smell them from upstairs. 

I went to the garden.

On the way home, I was hungry and decided to just eat the beans straight out of the pot.  So I scooped about 1/2 cup with some of the bean broth and ate it with 2 corn tortillas that I browned on the stove top. 

OMG.  It was good.  It was plain and good.  I meant to make refried beans with these, but why bother?  I put some beans in a corn tortilla and ate it like a taco.  I should have put some avocado in with it, but I didn't think about it until too late.  Also, when those darn tomatoes are ready, they'll be awesome in these bean tacos.  I was quite happy eating these plain, but decided to try a package of Taco Bell hot sauce packets that we have accumulated in the cupboard.  Yes, this is within my rules.  Anyway, it was super good on the bean taco and in the remaining bowl of beans.  I was quite happy with my simple and humble meal.

This was my second pot of beans, by the way.  On day one of this challenge, I made a pot of red beans that I put in my chicken soup.  I stored half of that pot in the freezer for later in the month, and I did the same with the pinto beans cooked today.

I had to make a Trader Joe's run for my husband so while there, I snagged a free cup of java and a sample of a lentil snack. 

This is what I bought for him:

$30 worth of snacks


This is what I bought for me:

38 cents worth of bananas


I have a patch of daikon (Japanese radish) in the garden so I decided to whip up a batch of easy takuan (pickled radish).   It's really just thin slices of daikon in a solution of sugar, salt and vinegar.  Most recipes say to add yellow food coloring which I don't bother with.  I will pack it in a jar and keep it in the refrigerator.  It's eaten like a condiment, so this is enough takuan to feed a small army.  In a few days I'll be eating tofu and brown rice and this takuan will really hit the spot.

    


Day 8

Breakfast:
Oatmeal with Soy Milk and Blueberries
Lunch:
Simmered Pinto Beans with corn tortillas
Orange

Snack:
Sample cup of TJ's coffee
Sample lentil snack from TJ's

Dinner:
Chicken Stir Fry with Pasta

Calories: 1115
Cost: 85 cents

Weight:  XXX - 3.0

No comments:

Post a Comment