Friday, June 22, 2012

Day 22 - Even with food, less is more

Before I started this challenge, I wrote down some expectations, and one of them was that I didn't think I'd be wasting any food.  I pictured myself with slim rations and that I'd be savoring each bite.

Not so.

I'm on day 22, with 8 days left and I have plenty of food left.  I still have 2 containers of soup, servings of red beans and rice, and lots of corn tortillas and pinto beans for bean tacos.  I've got cups of oatmeal, 1/4 of a jar of peanut butter and more eggs to eat. I've got more vegetables than I can eat, and lots and lots of fruit.  I even have about 10 more chocolate peanut bars.

So am I complaining?  No, of course not, but it occurred to me today, that if I only had 1/2 this amount, it might mean more to me.

It's like everything else in life.  When you have plenty, you take it for granted.  Unfortunately, some of this food will get wasted.

Now, this would not be the case if I was continuing this challenge past June, because then I would be motivated to preserve as much as I can knowing that during the winter, I'll be craving these fresh veggies and fruits.

I know it's wasteful, but we live with such abundance that it's easy to throw away the wilted broccoli when you can have a pizza instead. 

Our grandmothers would never let something like this happen.  But our generation does.  We have many conveniences and we are too busy to save every scrap of food.

That's just the way it is.  I feel guilty about it.  But, that's just the way it is.

Day 22

Breakfast:
1/2 banana with peanut butter

Tennis:
Orange juice
Small apple and 1/2 orange

Lunch:
Red beans with rice and pico de gallo
Plums
2 chocolate peanut bars

Dinner:
Oatmeal with soy milk and berries

Calories: 1390
Cost: $1.00

Weight:  XXX - 5 pounds



No comments:

Post a Comment