Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Day 12 - Poor Man's Soup



Do you know the story about "Stone Soup"?   A poor beggar who is rebuffed by the villagers decides to make some soup.  In the middle of the village, with nothing but a pot of water and a large stone, he draws curiosity and persuades the villagers one by one to add something to the pot.  A carrot here, a potato, an onion, and in the end, a nourishing soup is shared by all.

I think of this story as I eat my poor man's soup. 

Soup is nourishing, warm and comforting.  It is as unique as the ingredients around it.  It can be made out of things that may people discard, the bones from meat, the odd ends of vegetables, the greens that are past their prime.  You can make use of all these things and make a wonderful healthy meal.

My soup, is definitely a poor man's soup.  In the beginning of the challenge, I simmered a chicken carcass and added some red beans and caramelized onions.  I froze it in portions so that I could make it stretch throughout the month.  Today I took out one of the portions and added broccoli, green beans, zucchini, spaghetti and little currant tomatoes.  This is what I have on hand today.

Fifteen minutes later, I serve up a steaming bowl of soup.  There's nothing fancy in this soup, and yet, I feel really happy and satisfied right now.




Day 12

Breakfast:
1/2 banana with peanut butter

Lunch:
Hard boiled egg
Orange Juice
Small apple

Snack:
Roasted green beans (they are gone now!)
Loquats
2 chocolate peanut bars

Dinner:
Chicken Soup


Calories:  1180
Cost: 88 cents

Weight:  XXX - 3.5 pounds

1 comment: