Thursday, June 28, 2012

Day 28 - Lessons Learned

Egg Salad Tacos with Avocado,
red currant tomatoes and cucumber salad


I've been asked what I've learned from this experience and what I will continue and discontinue as I go forward.

  
On eating on a dollar a day:

It's doable if you have access to a lot of home grown food, you shop wisely and you are willing to cook.  The food you purchase must be the healthiest you can find for your money.  You may have to give up some of your comfort foods, but you can come up with a lot of new, great tasting favorites.

I've become a better cook through this experience.  I've had to think creatively and discover combinations of flavors which were new to me.  It's been a rewarding experience to know what I can do with limited ingredients.  These were my favorite discoveries:

  • Lemon Dressing - fresh lemon juice with a touch of olive oil, sugar, salt and pepper.
  • Egg Avocado Sandwich - Mash egg with avocado instead of mayonaise. 
  • Crispy Roasted Green Bean Snack - Roast green beans with a touch of olive oil and garlic salt until crispy.
  • Orangesicles - Freeze blended oranges with vanilla soy milk and sugar.
  • Teppanyaki Dipping Sauce - Fresh lemon juice (usually I use rice vinegar) and soy sauce
  • Cold tofu and takuan - The combination of sweet and salty I didn't get tired of.

What I'll discontinue:
Oatmeal.  It's strange, but eating oatmeal makes my blood sugar drop and I get hungry.  Maybe it's the sugar in the vanilla soy milk.  Or maybe I need to eat more protein with it. 

What I'll add on to my list of unlimited foods:
Greek Yogurt
Fish
Sparkling Water

What I'll add on in limited quantities:
Sharp Cheddar Cheese
Almonds
Decaf Coffee
Honey
Dark Chocolate

On losing weight:

  • I can eat all I want of healthy food choices and I will lose weight.
  • Meals should be simple and quick to prepare.
  • When you feel like a pick me up snack, take a nap instead if you can.
  • Don't eat too late at night.
  • Housework counts as exercise.

Day 28

Breakfast:
Oatmeal with soy milk, 1/4 banana and mulberries
Peach

Lunch:
Egg avocado tacos
Cucumber salad

Snack:
Small apple
Orange juice

Dinner:
Chicken stir fry with spaghetti noodles


Calories: 1135
Cost:  $1.01

Weight:  XXX - 6.5 pounds

3 comments:

  1. I want to try the egg avocado sandwich. What's going to happen with the blog from here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try it! I know you'll like it. The avocado was good mashed with tuna too. As far as what's going to happen with the blog from here...I'm still contemplating that. Thanks for asking!

      Delete
  2. Will try egg/avocado tacos!. Last summer I had TONS of fresh okra in my garden and no $ so I made okra tacos. Yes, it sounds weird but it was good. Saute okra/onion/seasonings and put in a corn tortilla. yum!
    ~C

    ReplyDelete