Thursday, June 21, 2012

Day 21 - If I had 5 more dollars

What would I buy if I had 5 more dollars to spend?  This is what I was contemplating as I was driving to Ikea today.  As I mentioned, I'm trying to organize my home while I'm doing this dollar a day thing.  And I have to say, it's killing me that I can't get the Ikea frozen yogurt cone that costs 99 cents.  I bought a new desk and storage shelves for my office.

Anyway, a month a go, I would have taken the $5 and bought 5 chili dogs for $5 at Der Weinerschinitzel, or 10 tacos for $5 at Jack in the Box.  Oh, and don't forget all the $5 boxes they have these days at the fast food joints, like the ones at Taco Bell and KFC.  (Technically, I couldn't buy those anyway because I couldn't afford the sales tax.)  I could also take 2 friends out to lunch to Costco and we could have polish dogs and a soda ($1.50 combo).

Seriously though, since I need to buy the most nutritious food for my money, I thought long and hard and came up with these:

Almonds
Sharp Cheddar Cheese
Greek Yogurt
Fish

These are out of my budget on a dollar a day, but I might be able to squeeze in small portions of them with $5 more.  These 4 items could really expand my menu.  I should do this next month.  I really should.

On the way to Ikea, I stopped at my brother's house to pick a few more apples and I noticed he had two little Japanese eggplants.  I helped myself because they were past their prime and some other critters were chomping at them.  As soon as I got home, I cooked them in a little olive oil and soy sauce.



And remember the salsa I promised to make yesterday?  Here it is.  It's a very simple pico de gallo made with chopped tomatoes, Anaheim peppers and onion and I added fresh lime juice, a bit of olive oil and garlic salt.  That's it.  I ate it on top of my red beans and rice for dinner.




Day 21

Breakfast:
Oatmeal with Soy Milk and 1/4 sliced banana
3 plums

Lunch:
Egg Avocado Sandwich
Sauteed Japanese Eggplant
2 Chocolate Peanut Bars

Snack:
Plums

Dinner:
Red Beans and Rice
Pico de Gallo



Calories: 1280
Cost: $1.04

Weight:  XXX - 5.5 pounds 

4 comments:

  1. I blog about living on food stamps, trying to convey that it IS possible to eat well on very little. Do you mind if I share your blog in one of my future posts?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there! I'm a new follower. I just loved the concept and want to implement that into my life. I regularly do self-imposed pantry challenges for a week, not allowing myself to buy anything, just using what I have. But to have to think this through in terms of only $5.00 and my best way to put it to use...genious! Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by sweetjeanette!

    ReplyDelete