Monday, June 18, 2012

Day 18 - Desserts!

Yes, you CAN have desserts on a dollar a day.  Especially if you have fruit available.  With limited ingredients, you have to be creative.  So here are some of my dessert experiments.

So far I've had Chocolate Peanut Butter Bananas:

I just roasted these bananas with 2 crushed chocolate peanut butter bars on top.  The cost for this serving was 16 cents.  It tasted a lot better than it looks...really.  I bought this bag of Chocolate Peanut Butter bars at Fresh and Easy Market.  It was marked down to $1, so 2 bars costs 6 cents.

Then, I had Oatmeal Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookies:

This was leftover oatmeal with crushed chocolate peanut butter bars mixed in.  I baked them in the toaster oven.  It didn't crisp up without butter, but it was good enough for me and it used up the oatmeal.  Cost for this serving was 8 cents.

Next up, a cold dessert.  Orangesicles!

Made from oranges, some vanilla soy milk and sugar.  Cost is 5 cents a popsicle.

And today, I wanted to try to make an apple cobbler.  Since I don't have flour, I used oatmeal, and no butter, so I used peanut butter.

This is what it looked like before it went into the oven:

This is sliced apples splashed with lemon juice.  I mixed peanut butter, oats and sugar together into the apples and baked them at 350 for 30 minutes.  I added some water into the bottom of the muffin cup.

The result:

 Okay, it's not the prettiest dessert and it would taste better with some vanilla ice cream, but it wasn't too bad.  It was interesting with the oats and peanut butter.  The cost for this serving is 9 cents.

So, yes, you can eat on a dollar a day and still have dessert.


Day 18

Breakfast:
Oatmeal with soy milk and berries

Lunch:
Tuna Avocado Sandwich
Roasted Green Beans

Snack:
2 Chocolate Peanut Butter Bars
Toasted Oats

Dinner:
Chicken Pasta Stir Fry

Dessert:
Peanut Butter Apple Cobbler

Calories: 1320
Cost: $1.19

Weight:  XXX - 4 pounds



No comments:

Post a Comment