Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Weekly Food Ads



It's Tuesday, and that's the day all the food ads from the local supermarkets come in the mail.  I used to check this carefully every week and use them with clipped manufacturer coupons to find the best deals.  Most manufacturer coupons are for items you don't really need though.  But sometimes, you can save a lot of money on things like household cleaners and paper products. 

For my challenge, manufacturer coupons are not going to be beneficial, however, I'm still looking for sales on staple items, like dairy, bread, peanut butter and chicken.  In fact, it is essential that I find some of the items on my shopping list on sale.  If they don't come on sale during this period, I will have to make some modifications to my shopping list.

Right now, I'm especially looking for peanut butter on sale.  I know that if I wait for the right time, I can find it for $2 for 16 oz, but in the past few weeks I haven't been able to find it.  Even at Costco and Smart and Final, peanut butter was more expensive than that.

I might have to get the Trader Joe's peanut butter at $2.79, but one of the benefits is that theirs does not have hydrogenated oils.  It's just peanuts and salt.

I'm looking over the ads of the markets close by :  Fresh and Easy, Ralph's, Von's, Sprouts and Smart and Final.  I'm only looking for things on my shopping list, especially chicken, peanut butter, eggs, beans, tuna and bread.

 
The only thing I see is Skippy peanut butter on sale for $2.49 and refried beans at .89 cents a can.  Also, they have a buy one get one free sale on tortillas. 

Now that I know what's on sale I can start purchasing items on my list.  Tomorrow I'm making a stop at Trader Joe's.

This afternoon, after harvesting from the garden, I decided to freeze some of the zucchini and broccoli.  The zucchini you just chop up and stick in freezer bags.  The broccoli needs to be blanched and quick cooled in ice water before freezing.  I should have enough fresh vegetables to eat during June, but just in case something happens to the garden, I'll have some veggies in the freezer to fall back on.

My mom called today to ask if I'm ready to pick up the oranges and avocados from her tree.  I'll pick those up tomorrow too...

No comments:

Post a Comment