Tuesday, May 22, 2012

A Visit to the Farmer's Market


The farmer's market is in a local park and only a 15 minute walk from my house but I don't go down as often as I could.  It's there twice a week, on Tuesdays and Saturdays and is always busy.  Today I decided to go down and take a look at what's available. 

It's a pretty good sized market and there are a lot of produce and gourmet items to choose from.  But unfortunately, none of it is affordable for my dollar a day challenge.  Look at the beautiful berries!


I mentioned that in a pinch, I can come here and glean free samples of fruit but I didn't have that in mind today.  However, many vendors insisted I taste their gourmet food samples.  So, I had a delectable taste of smooth chocolate and some cactus tortillas and salsa.  Here's a kiosk of fruit samples with people buzzing around it.  I tried the peaches and a plum/apricot hybrid fruit.


The seedling guy was there today.  I usually grow my own seedlings, but since some of them got eaten and destroyed, I bought a few.  These won't be harvestable in the  month of June, so will not be part of my challenge.  I bought a Japanese eggplant, Japanese cucumber, Diva cucumber, and honeydew melon.  They were 4 for $5.  That's not a bad price and there were more than 1 seedling in each little pot. 


Tonight, I'm experimenting baking some bread, so I'll talk about that tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment