Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Bread Failure

Yesterday I decided to bake a loaf of bread from scratch as an experiment to compare it in cost and flavor to store bought bread. 

I'm ashamed to admit it, but I failed.  Okay, so I need more work in the bread baking area.  I wanted to make bread that would be easy and cost effective, so I choose french bread.  It only requires yeast, salt, flour and water.  I decided, however, that I wanted to make it healthier and substituted whole wheat flour instead of white flour.  I don't know what the difference is, but my loaf came out kind of flat and bad tasting.  It was really salty too.  I couldn't eat it and even if I was starving, I don't think I'd want to eat it. Yeah, it was that bad.

I estimate that a loaf of homemade bread with those ingredients would cost less than a dollar for sure if you were buying the yeast and flour in bulk.  And, I'm sure that even though it took hours to make, in reality if I knew what I was doing it would only take about 30 minutes of actual work. 

I will try again.

But not today. 

Probably not tomorrow either.

I need to get over the shock of my failure.

For now I plan on looking for a loaf of bread marked down at the discount bread store.


No comments:

Post a Comment