Saturday, May 19, 2012

Carb Love

Yes, I love my carbohydrates.  Especially french fries.  They make me feel good.  Carbs give us energy.  Quick energy.  But then after a while, it all turns to sugar and makes us feel tired.  So then, we crave a pick me up of more carbs.  And so the cycle is continued and the excess calories builds up into fat.  And that's when the thighs start rubbing together.  Not a good image, I know.

I find that if you eat carbs by themselves, it makes your brain foggy.  And when your brain is foggy, you feel tired and crave more carbs.  That's why you should have protein with your carbs and stop eating so many carbs in the first place. 

So you see, I know the score, I'm just not following my own advice.  But that's all going to end on June 1, because I'm not going to be able to afford french fries, chocolate, donuts, maybe not even bread. 

What carbs will I have?  I will need carbs for energy and to meet my minimum calorie requirements.   Here's my list of things I can afford:

brown rice
dry beans
corn tortillas
bananas (maybe 1 a week)
potatoes (maybe only 1 for my chicken soup)

The rest of the carbs are going to come from my home grown vegetables and gleaned fruit.

Again, the vegetables I'm expecting to have available in June are broccoli, cauliflower, green beans, stir fry greens, daikon, zucchini, and tomatoes. 

The fruit I expect to have are oranges, avocados and strawberries.  I'm hoping I can find someone with a lemon and apple tree.  Also, peaches and plums should be around somewhere if I can find them. 

All of this is what I consider the "good" carbs.  Unprocessed carbs.  High fiber carbs. The ones I should be able to eat without restriction on a healthy diet.  The ones I should replace over the bad carbs I'm eating now.

Wouldn't it be nice if at the end of June, I only crave the good carbs and change my eating habits?  Hmmmm...

I am thinking about making some home made bread.  I'm not sure if it's actually cheaper to make bread or buy it from the discounted Oroweat store.  I might run a test just to see which is more cost effective.  Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment