Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Shopping Day


It was a pretty busy shopping day.  I hit some stores I wasn't expecting to shop at but they were on my route today. 

First stop was the Oroweat Outlet Store and I really scored there.  They were having a special where you buy their reusable shopping bag for 99 cents and you can buy up to 10 loaves of bread for $1.59 each.  That's a great deal because the retail is $4.69 to $4.99 per loaf.  You had to buy a minimum of 6 loaves however.  This is fine with me because bread freezes beautifully and anyway, I usually buy at least 3 loaves and put some in the freezer.


And, because I ended up spending just over $10 for the 6 loaves and the bag, I get 2 free items.  I picked the cinnamon rolls and the English muffins.  And on top of that, it was double stamp day, so my stamp card was filled and I can get another loaf of bread free.  I decided to save that for another day. 

I can only afford one loaf for my June challenge, so I chose the Milton's Squaw bread.  It has a lot of good stuff in it and a lot of protein too. 

Next, I headed to my brother's house to pick up the avocados and oranges.  But first, I drove by the 99 cent store just to see what they had there.  I picked up 30 corn tortillas for $1. 

My brother has some young apple trees and I noticed the birds were picking at some of the apples and some were on the ground, so I helped myself to a few.  Hope he doesn't mind. 

After that I decided to go to Trader Joes to shop for the bulk of my items.  Von's was on the way, so I stopped there and found 42 oz oatmeal for $2.50. 

At TJ's, I bought my fav peanut butter for $2.79, 2 dozen extra large eggs for $2.98, 64 oz vanilla soy milk for $2.99, 1 pound spaghetti for 99 cents and 2 of the largest bananas I could find for 19 cents each.

On the way home, I stopped by Smart and Final across the street and found a can of tuna for 73 cents, 1 pound of red beans for $1.09 and 1 pound of pinto beans for $1.24.

Last week at Fresh and Easy Market, I found a great buy on whole chicken at 79 cents a pound, so I got a 5 pound chicken for $4.01.  I put it in the freezer.  I also found a bag of chocolate peanut bars marked way down to $1.00.  I'm able to include that in my monthly budget. 

I'm allocating $1 to olive oil and $1 for seasonings (salt, pepper, sugar, vinegar, mustard and a little mayo).

At Costco, I picked up brown rice in bulk (10 pounds for $4.99) so my brown rice cost is 4 cents a serving.

And lastly, at Marukai, I picked up an 18 oz tub of tofu for $1.29.

Okay, I know what you are thinking.  But, I agree, I had no intention of shopping in so many places.  But I have been looking for things to stock up on over the past few weeks and I happened to be running errands and was able to hit some extra stores.

Since I saved some money on a few items, I'm able to throw in some Vadalia onions for an extra 70 cents.   It brings my total up to $29.24.

No comments:

Post a Comment