Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Garden #1

Checking in at the community garden:


For those of you still concerned about my health, check out my harvest today.

Some overgrown zucchini, a head of broccoli, strawberries and onions I bartered from my gardening friend.

And just so you know, I am not gardening much these days.  This has been a busy year and I haven't had the time to get out there much so I will have much less to harvest in June.  Still, I think it'll be enough.

In the community garden I have zucchini, broccoli, cauliflower, daikon, stirfry greens and strawberries growing.  I lost the cucumber seedlings I planted to snails.  There are a lot of them out this year. 

I don't buy vegetable seedlings anymore. They are started at home from old seeds (some from 2008), or seeds that I have propagated from previous crops. Sometimes I'll get seeds from gardening friends at the community garden.   Seriously, I don't know why people buy seeds every year.  The strawberry plants are from 3 years ago and although they have been neglected, they still produce enough small berries for my cereal or yogurt.  My expenses this year in the garden have been $0.

I have another garden in my father-in-law's back yard.  Over there I've got tomatoes, green beans and peppers.  My cucumber and eggplant seedlings got eaten up there too.  It's been a bad year for me with my seedlings.     Nothing is ready to harvest yet, but I hope to have some tomatoes and beans in June.

It occurred to me as I was driving home with my harvest that if I eat and depend on all these vegetables instead of my usual junk food, my body is going to go through a detox.  And that is a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment